- Resolvable identifiers: the system provides resolvable identifiers in the form of Compact Identifiers and URIs.
- Location independent: the system is able to decouple the identification of records from the physical locations on the web where they can be retrieved.
- Free to use: there is no cost involved to register or use the identifiers or this facility.
- Granularity of identifiers: identifiers available at multiple levels (data collections, resources and data entities).
- Customisable behaviours: the URI system can be tailored to needs in terms of formats available and preferred resolving locations.
- RDF support: responses encoded in RDF/XML are provided via content negotiation, other formats are being added.
- Community driven: we rely upon the community to drive and direct development, as well as to contribute new data collections.
- Curated resource: dedicated curators and community feedback ensure that information in the Registry remains up-to-date and accurate.
- Reliable: there is an automated link monitoring system that checks registered resources daily.
- Unrestricted scope: currently focused on Life Sciences, but the scope is potentially unlimited (community feedback dependent).